Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, March 16, 2002

I thought I was doing so well on my candida killing diet, but I made the mistake of eating bacon today and the yeasties totally love it and started multiplying again. I totally forgot I cannot eat smoked or processed meats. This is the first time I had a yeastie reaction so this is good. I also had regular coffee instead of decaf and I don't know if the caffiene was a contributing factor to my yeastie breakout.

I just have to be more vigilant. I read the website again for the woman who's on the same program I am and her yeasties came out after 20 days. I'm only on day 15 but I don't know how far back eating bacon set me. The woman with the website said it took her 40 days to clear out her yeasties. When I went I went to the doctor he said I had dropped from severe to moderate, a good 10 point drop. I just have to keep dong this.

The woman with candida website also stayed on the eating program for 3.5 months. I might just do that too, which means I'll be eating this way till the middle of June. Going off sugar has really changed my tastebuds. Things just don't taste the same anymore. Sometime I crave sweet things but I drink herb tea with artificial sweetener and that seems to help.

I just want my yeasties to go away permanently, so I guess I'll have to be as strict as I can with this plan.

I saw In the Bedroom today. I did not expect the ending it had, which is good. I like to be surprised in a movie. Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkinson were very good, although their performances weren't Oscar winner quality. I think the Oscar should go to Halle Berry, although I have yet to see Iris. Halle Berry played against type, cried and did the hysterical woman thing alot and Oscar voters like those kinds of performances. Sissy Spacek's performance was almost the same type of she played in Affliction with Nick Nolte. I still remember Tom Wilkinson from that bizarre movie The Governess with Minnie Driver. I liked him much better in this role, although that performance was very good. He was so creepy in that movie.

I also Black Hawk Down and totally loved it. I will definitely have to buy the DVD for this movie. It was so realistic in it portrayal of war. One of my favorite scenes was when one of the soldiers looks down and see's a man's hand on the ground and just picks it up and puts it his pocket. That was so cool because to me that scene is the reality of war. I also liked all that blood just gushing out like that, again very realistic.

Black Hawk Down was another feast for the eyes with all those beautiful young male Hollywood actors. I liked that it was an international cast with lots of Americans, Brits and Aussies playing the soldiers. Ewan McGregor did a great American accent. Jason Isaacs' American accent wasn't that great but everybody else's was terrific. The beautiful elf price, Legolas, Orlando Bloom, was in this movie and he played an american quite well.

As everyone else has said in reviews, you cannot help but be reminded of the US soldiers in Afghanistan, while watching this movie. Our boys out there fighting for our country and they're also so young too. I get mixed feelings when watching a war movie. I hate war and I don't endorse war, although for 9/11 I made an exception. I couldn't help but get caught up in this movie about US soldiers but half way through, one part of me said it was disgusting to even be watching and cheering these soldier on in their failed mission in Somalia. I got the same reaction watching Top Gun, another movie I loved. The peace loving part of me freaks out that I'm cheering on soldiers.

But it's hard to be hate soldiers, especially after 9/11, because they're people out there protecting my country's interests and dying in conflict. I don't hate soldiers, I just hate war. I hate that we have wars and I just wish the world could find peaceful solutions to its problems.

I found a website that talks about why the Somalia mission failed. I was watching the movie and I even thought the tacticals were all wrong. The people planning the mission did not even take into consideration that there might be hostile forces trying to shoot them down. And god, they went out in the middle of the day in attack formation like that wasn't the big tip off that they were coming. There was no backup plan in case something went wrong. They just went it, arrogant as all hell, thinking the Somalis were just going to roll over the play dead.

These guys were supposed to be rangers and delta forces, elite troops, but their tacticals were so bad. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of La Femme Nikita, where every mission was meticulously planned with backup and contigency plans in case something went wrong, but even I didn't watch that show I still would have had a backup plan. The guy planning the mission had none of that. Then they didn't even tell the Pakistani General they were going in, so they could have even more backup in case something did go wrong.

There's an adobe acrobat file I found on what went wrong on that mission in Somalia that inspired Black Hawk Down. I'll have to read it to see what a military expert thought. Still, Black Hawk down was a fantastic movie and it made me realize that my country's soldiers deserve alot of my respect for the role that they play in the country's defense forces. I don't like war, but it's a necessary evil and I'm honored that there are young men willing to die for my country.

No comments: