Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, January 20, 2003

So I'm deciding whether to drop out of my Saturday morning City College of San Francisco yoga class, because the yoga teacher spent about 15 minutes telling people to go to the anti-war rally. I'm like, HELLO! I'm paying you to teach me yoga, not to hear about your politics. I was irritated on Saturday, and my irritation has been building to just downright anger.

I just experienced what the conservatives are saying what's wrong with public education; public school teachers trying to politic in a non-political class. And obviously this woman knows nothing about yoga, because if she did, she would know that her integrity is so off and she's committing an act of bad karma. Her job is to teach yoga, not politics and she's not, and she knows it; that's classic bad karma. She doing something wrong and she knows it. And this woman is going to teach me yoga and its philosophy? PLEASE!!! She knows nothing of the subject if she's politicing in an exercise class.

This is the first time I've ever come across this in a class at CCSF. It's frightening to me. I want to send her an email, and harangue her about it, but what's the sense. She won't get it, and I know she doesn't get what yoga and its philosophy is truly about. I don't need someone teaching me yoga and its philosophy, who doesn't understand the basic laws of karma.

The woman then went on telling the people in class to write to Gray Davis, and tell him that we don't like the public education budget cuts. And I'm like why? So I can have a freak like you teach class an exercise class, and spend most of it telling us your political views. When we do go to war with Iraq, and I belive it's a fait accompli at this point, I just know this yoga exercise teacher is just going to spend more class time spouting off her political opinions. Do I really want to deal with this for a whole semester every Saturday morning?

I take classes at CCSF, because they're cheap, I get to meet a variety of people, and the teachers I've had have been very good. Now granted, the country is an extraordinary set of circumstances with the upcoming war with Iraq, but to have this yoga teacher, who's said she's studied yoga and its philosophy all her life, commit seriously bad karma on the first day of class just doesn't sit well with me. I feel bad too. I'm a great believer in public education, but if this is what public education is turning into, then I'm not going to waste my time. I can afford to take private yoga classes. I won't get the variety of people I'd meet in a public education class, but I think the teacher will teach yoga postures, and not spend the time informing me of their political opinion.

My only consolation in this whole thing is, very few people in the class took the anti-war flyers she was handing out, and everyone had that bored looked in their eyes which seemed to say "shut up already and teach us yogic breathing", which of course she didn't, because she ended class early so she could go the rally. Talk about instant karma, but I doubt she got that too.

No comments: