Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Grabmusik by Mozart

I liked the text of Grabmusik by Mozart so much that I wanted to put some of it in my blog.

I. Recitative, The soul - Wo bin ich?
Where am I? Bitter pain? Ah, the source of all love, my repose, my comfort, the goal of my striving, my holy Jesus' heart that stirs no more, has emptied his blood and his life. Here the wounds still drip with blood. What bitter steel has torn assunder the heart of the best-beloved and the sweetest?

II. Aria, The Soul - Felsen spaltet euren Rachen
Boulders, split your thoughts and mourn and wail with wretched clangor; Stars and moon and sun, take flight, while mourning Nature grieves with me. Below, thunder! Flames and lightning rage on in unison against this deed of madness which has wounded Jesus' heart.

VI. Duet, The Soul and the Angel - Jesu, was hab' ich getan?
Jesus, what have I done? I have inflicted your wounds and sent you to the cross. Look on my heart's remorse. You suffered these wounds to gain for us salvation and mercy. This I shall resolve: that I shall love thee: and that I shall never grieve thee; Forgive me, sacred heart.

Epilogue: Ave Vernum Corpus
Jesus, word of God incarnate, of the Virgin Mary born, on the cross thy sacred body. For us, with nails, was torn. Cleanse us by the blood and water streaming from thy pierced side. Feed us with thy body broken, now and in death's agony.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you write this translation or was it from a book of some sort? I've been searching for a Grabmusik translation for years; it's a fine relief to read one at last.

Brenda Elfgirl said...

I attended a "Passion of the Christ" concert on Friday April 9, 2004 at Calvary Presbyterian Church. The performance was by the Calvary Chancel Choir and Orchestra. The translation of Grabmusik was in the program and I typed it up and posted it to my blog. It might be the only english translation on the internet, which is a little mind-boggling.

Rollan Wengert Author said...

Thank you for this. Even though your likely quite removed from the blog. I used it for my blog Tonedeaf Troglodyte tries Mozart.