Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, January 20, 2003

So the Raiders won, and they're playing their old coach who bailed to go to Tampa Bay, after Steve Mariucci, the ex 49er coach, waffled on whether to take the job. It's the kind of drama even Hollywood could invent. Real life is sometimes way more interesting than fiction.

And Al Davis, who people call "the godfather", I just found out was the first NFL owner to break the colour barrier and hire african american players. Which reminds me that tomorrow is Martin Luther King Day, and I don't have the holiday off. Bad huh?

My pastor read a sermon at church today that Dr. Martin Luther King delivered in 1956, and it was very good. Dr. King had pretended he found a long lost letter from Paul to American Christians. The man definitely had a way with words as was evidenced by this early sermon. The themes Dr. King brought up in 1956 are so timeless too, as the country faces whether affirmative action and other programs to promote racial diversity have any merit at the college level.

My Dr. Martin Luther King connection. During my college time, Dr. King's daughter enrolled at my school, but left after a semester to go to Howard University in Atlanta. I never saw her, but everyone said she was very nice.

Although I'm a 49er fan, I'm jumping on the bandwagon to cheer on the Raiders because they're a Bay Area team. It's one of the perks of living in an area with two football teams. There's a good chance if one of them loses, the other team may win. GO RAIDERS!

The geriactric Raiders team is definitely redefining for professional football the age limit and longevity of players who stay injury free and take care of themselves. I read Bill Callahan even had the players train differently, so they don't get too tired because of their age. His strategy has paid off, as the Raiders look strong and don't fade in the fourth quarter as many teams expect them to do.

I love the fact that Bill Callahan has never held a head coaching job before, and now finds himself as a rookie coach in his first superbowl. I wonder if he allowed himself to have this dream. And what a dream. There are head coaches who have never taken teams to the superbowl, and Callahan goes in his first year.

My prediction: the Oakland Raiders will win Superbowl 37 by a touchdown, and it will be a close, well fought game.

And now we can look forward to why we really watch the Superbowl; the commercials.

No comments: