Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, October 07, 2003

I think I'm starting on a Hong Kong kung fu action movie kick. Last week I went to the video store and rented Iron Monkey.

What a great flick! "Iron Monkey was directed and choreographed by Yuen Wo Ping, who choreographed the fight scenes for "The Matrix" and "Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

I grew up watching and loving hong kong kung fu action movies, since my parents were fans and I went to the movie theatre with them. I don't think they were into the "let's shield the kid from violent movies" type of parenting. It's either that or they couldn't get or afford babysitting.

But then again, they also loved "The Three Stooges" and we always watched them when they were on television. A friend of mine just told me that most women don't like The Three Stooges" because they were too violent.

Were they violent? I thought they were a scream! They were always poking and beating up on each other, but in a brotherly and silly way which was very, very comical.

Iron Monkey reminded me so much of movies I watched as a child. It definitely resembled old hong kong kung fu action movies. And there wasn't any of that fake flying stuff like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", which was a hong kong kung fu action movie dumbed down and made for american audiences.

Iron Monkey delivered great street fighting action scenes, and lots of old style shaolin kung fu with more emphasis on technique instead of acrobatics.

I also rented Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun-Fat, just to see what that movie is about.

Now I want to rent more kung fu movies! They are so much, and they remind me of my childhood. Maybe I'll see if I can rent a Three Stooges video as well, just to see if I still like them or if I'll think now that I'm older that they were violent.

Do people now think that Laurel and Hardy were violent as well? Hardy was always hitting Laurel. Those guys were so darn funny!

No comments: