Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, October 17, 2003

I went to the art exhibit, and spoke to the guy from art class for a bit. He and his wife, who is also in the class, recognized me.

I teased him and said that I might write a paper about him and his exhibit, if I could figure out a way to tie into class. He said if I did, to make sure I gave him a copy.

Art class guy and I started talking about his exhibit, and he said something about what his exhibit meant, and I ended up countering, "No I think this is what you meant ..." I wonder if all artists cringe when a total stranger contradicts you and says "no your art doesn't mean that, it means this." I hope I didn't freak him out.

While walking to the bus stop, I started composing a very political art review in my head. His exhibit was very anti-Iraq war. I tentatively titled my essay, "Were Satre and Warhol right? The Celebrity of War: Reflections on the art of so and so".

It would be fun to write a SF Bay Guardian type, left wing political review of art class guy's exhibit. Never mind that I supported the US led war in Iraq, I could write an anti war piece. That ultra left wing hippie education of mine has to come in handy for something.

I told art class guy that my dad took me to my first political protest when I was 12, and I wore black armbands when Reagan was elected. I got hippie left wing street cred!

If I write it, I'll post it. I think it will be fun for me to exercise my writing brain and try to write an essay about what some guy's art exhibit means. I could quote Sartre, Warhol, and I might even throw a David Mamet quote in because I'd love to fit a "Wag the Dog" reference in, and argue how Andy Warhol's pop art birthed that concept and movie.

My modern art teacher loves to say that art and society in general is still influenced by Andy Warhol's pop art philosophy and vision, so I've got to work those Andy Warhol references in when I can.

No comments: