Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

So I thought I'd blown my modern art history mid term and gotten a B or some other lower grade, because the last part really threw me. I thought I had studied everything I was supposed to, but I was I wrong.

The last part consisted of writing one of two essays. I thought he was going to give an essay on comparing AbEx-Colour Field and AbEx-Action, so I studied for that question. He said he was going to give an essay on comparing AbEx NYC and Art Informel, but I didn't study for it. I thought the AbEx movement comparison was a more compelling argument.

Why study for two, when you only have to do one right?

So I was right about the AbEx NYC comparison to Art Informel being on the mid term, but I wasn't expecting the other question to be about Pop Art. And of course, I didn't really devote much time pop art.

I could have written the Art Informel essay, but you had to compare works of art and I couldn't remember the names of any of the Art Informel pieces at the time.

So I wrote this two page BS rant on Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein, where I said Pop Art was not a reaction to AbEx or fulfillment of NeoDada, but was brought about by changes happening in American and British Culture. I cited the invention of television, the media and Hollywood, and the growing interest in Hollywood stars and stardom as birthing Pop Art stars Richard Hamilton, David Hockney, Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol.

Talk about making it up as you go along. I thought for sure he wouldn't buy my argument and give me like maybe 5 points on a 20 point essay.

So it was so shocking that I got 100/100 and an A, and a comment that he agreed with me and that I really understood pop art.

He even held on to my test along with a few others, and said he was going to read from some of them as examples for what people should have written, but thank god he ran out of time and decided not to do that. That would have been embarrassing to hear my own BS read out loud in class. How scary is that?

But I guess I shouldn't be so surprised by my grade. I managed to convince my art history professor one night after class, that Jackson Pollock's AbEx Action paintings birthed conceptual art because of how Pollock showed tme in artwork.

You don't have to right about art, you just have to argue it well.

No comments: