Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I think my pc needs some serious upgrading. Last night I turned on my computer on to work on my greek drama paper, and the fonts were all messed up. I called a friend of mine who use to be a Help Deck techie at a company we both worked at, and she suggested after having tried many things that I copy the fonts in my font directory on my laptop to my pc. This solved the problem.

Somehow the fonts in my font directory were wiped out because when we looked in there, they were all gone. What a scary, scary thing to happen, but thankfully we fixed it. I just thank god I have my laptop as a backup. I don’t why it took so long for me to buy one, because I use it quite a bit and I love watching TV and writing on my laptop. I can watch TV and write at the same time, which is only difficult if I get involved watching a program. I like to have the television on for background noise when I write, and when I get bored I can always look up and start watching whatever is on.

I definitely have to upgrade the chip memory on my pc, because it’s a 256-chip and it’s very, very slow. After that I need to put all my important files on a cd, so I can upgrade to Windows XP professional. I finally have my upgrade copy. Last night’s computer scare reminded me that I have gotten very lax in backing up my pc. I should really just buy one of those giant memory sticks that have a gig of memory and back it up to there once a week. All I really care about are my Microsoft Office files like words, excel, ppts, etc, my pdfs, my mail files, and my palm pilot files. Everything else can be reinstalled.

But if I do upgrade from Windows 2000, I think I need to clear out all the garbage out of my pc. I have mail messages in Outlook from 1998 that I’m still keeping. I think I should also keep all my important docs in a few directories, just so it’s easier to back up. This kind of stuff is such a chore, but very necessary if I want to upgrade my pc. I guess this will be my Memorial Day project this weekend.

No comments: