Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, May 14, 2005

I watched Eugene O'Neill's play "A Moon for the Misbegotten" on Thursday night. It's such a great play, but towards the end when there was this intense speech where the character is pouring his guts out on stage, some guy starts snoring and cellphone of the man sitting next to me goes off. I wanted to laugh out out and add further to the hilarity of the moment. Talk about a play for the misbegotten.

I think someone nudged the snoring guy finally because after a couple of minutes he stopped. I can imagine what the actor must have thought if he had actually heard the person snoring in the midst of this intense speech.

We used to say in the growth and development seminars I usd to go to, that when a person falls asleep it's because they can't handle the information that they're listening to so their brain has to immediately shut off and the person goes to sleep. Guess the snoring person couldn't handle a drunken character telling another character why he thinks he's messed up.

It was hard to watch myself since I dated someone who was a bit like that and had to experience the same thing one night a long time ago. Some people drink for fun, some people drink to escape and there's a fine line between the two before you cross the top of the bell curve into addiction.

Actualy there's a scene from David Lynch's "The Straight Story" that shows a character telling another character why he drinks. It's the most honest depiction of casual alcoholism I've seen in a movie. It's straight talk and frightening in its honesty and humanity.

No comments: