Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, March 20, 2006

I think I used to have ADD or ADHD when I was a kid, one of the two or both. But I had it back in the day when no one really knew what ADD/ADHD was and the only way to treat it was to banish kids out of class. I spent most of my first grade outside of class for bad behavior, not paying attention, telling my teacher I was bored, and then to add insult to injury I constantly argued with her that cats did not sound how we were reading them in books. What a freaky six-year I was arguing with my first grade teacher who was probably in her 40's or 50's. My mother told me I did the same thing in kindergarten teacher because I refused to take a nap and I constantly argued with my teacher when she said things that didn't make sense. Those poor ladies told my mother I had a learning disability and was very SLOW.

But I don't care because I had my revenge on both of them even though I know they meant well when they told my mother I was STUPID and SLOW! By fourth grade I was tested as a having a 9th grade reading level.

But having ADD/ADHD means that I have issues about time and clutter to this day. I found the following in an email about children with ADD which so explains certain things about myself. I get a ton of stuff done, heck I've run the NYC marathon three times and finished c0llege for god's sake, but I feel like ADD/ADHD child personality coming out when it comes to writing and sometimes to housework and cleaning up. My third grade teacher, I was age 8 then so I think it' third grade, made the class keep a journal that we had to turn in. That year we also wrote stories, printed them ourselves on nice paper, and then illustrated them. Afterwards, all of our mini books were donated to the school library so other kids could check them out and read them.

I forgot I was self-published at age 8. How funny is that! I wanted to be a writer at age 8 because of I thought it was so cool to have other people read my stories. I mean, it makes sense doesn't it, that my writing self is an ADD/ADHD child since I got the writing bug at that age. My third grade teacher told me I was a great writer, and encouraged me to pursue it, but I think she said to that everyone in the class. I mean, what else would have been the whole point of the exercise if not to encourage the whole class to become writers. Reading these tips for ADD/ADHD kids makes me think I should apply them to my young ADD/ADHD writing self, because she is in serious rebellion right now and refuses to write.

Recommended many practical approaches that you can do at home to help your ADD/ADHD child

A Home Work Binder – ADD/ADHD children need all of their information in one central location, so they only have to keep trackof one item. Put several spiral notebooks in a binder, (one for each subject at school) and staple a large envelopeto the front of each spiral. All homework gets put in the envelopes,and only taken out to work on or turn in. All written info for the class, including homework assignments, is kept in the correct spiral, and is not removed unless turning in. Pencils and other supplies need to be kept filled in a pencil bag in the binder.

Home Calendar – ADD/ADHD children need one location at home to check for assignments, appointments, holidays, chores, etc. Place one large calendar in a central location in the house where your child can check their schedule. (this is why Palms and their knockoffs were invented and yes I have one).

Organized Bedroom – in Baby Steps!! It is overwhelming to an ADD/ADHD child to have to clean aroom all at once. It needs to be broken down in small steps, so a child can see the light at the end of the tunnel. (this really applies to novels)

Minimizing – Find out what your ADD/ADHD child palys with , and then get rid of everything else! ADD/ADHD children cannot function in chaos. Chaos breeds chaos, and their minds need peace to help themfocus. Go through all the toys, closets, etc, and get rid of as much as possible. This will also make it easier for your child to keep a clean room.

Daily Schedule – Writie down a schedule for your ADD/ADHD child, and having the child refer to it during the day. When to take medicine,when to do homework, etc. and post it near the calendar to help your child remember what comes next. (Routines work!!!!)

No comments: