Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, March 03, 2024

Day 61 Bible Reading

Leviticus 7 & 8, Mark 11: 1-26, Psalm 33: 1-11

Mark 11: 13-14 (ESV)

“And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.”

I’ve been reading commentaries on verses 13-14 from Mark 11, and this is the most interesting interpretation of Jesus cursing the fig tree that I came across. Christ cursed the fig tree because it had leaves, but no fruit. A fig tree only has leaves when it has fruit, so the fig tree had false advertising. A commentator wrote that “God doesn’t approve when there is a profession without reality, talk without walk. God has displeasure when we have the appearance of fruit but not the fruit itself.” Any follower of Christ will need to look deep into their own hearts and analyze their behavior and ask themselves, “Am I a true follower of Christ or do I just have the appearance of being a follower of Christ?”

No comments: