Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, December 20, 2002

I read a book a few months ago called, "Move your things, Change your life." In a fit of who knows what, I moved my desk to a totally different area of my apartment. I wanted my desk to be near a window, so I moved my desk to where my dining table used to be, and then had to move a bunch of stuff around to accomodate the change.

I've had my desk in the same place since I moved in seven years ago, so it feels a little weird to have my desk in a new place, but ... I kind of like it. Maybe it will change my life. Maybe not.

I went to look at an apartment tonight. I think the guy renting that apartment I looked at, must have been desperate because he listed it last week, and was showing it last Saturday for $50 more. I wanted to check it out, but I had that screenwriting seminar that day. When I emailed the guy if he was showing it another time, I never got a reply back. This Tuesday, the guy relists his apartment only this time with a more detailed description and $50 cheaper. I keep wondering what happened last Saturday that made him relist in more detail for cheaper. I decided to go and check it out, because it did sound so good on paper.

The apartment was in the back of someone's house, which people refer to as an "in-law". I know people who are in great in-law apartments, and they love it, so I decided to check this one out.
The size was good, and it was on a quiet street, and it was perfect except for the fact that it only had two windows.

I think it might have looked better during the day, but Mr. Desperate Landlord decided to show it on a Friday night at 6:30 pm. It makes you wonder what the story is with this landlord. I spoke to his wife earlier on the phone, and she told me the husband inherited the building from his parents who live in the top apartment. An older couple live in the bottom apartment, and then there's the in-law apartment underneath. The wife and husband used to live in the bottom apartment, then they went and bought their own place. Curiouser and curiouser said the cat.

I'm spoiled. I have a corner apartment with seven windows, and I adore them. Six of the windows are bay windows, so they're nice and huge. I just love all the light streaming in, so I bought these horrendously expensive guazy white cotton Pottery Barn curtains with little suns all over them. The light comes in but people can't see in. I never draw my shades, and when it's pretty outside, I open the curtains.

The windows are one of the main reasons I moved in here in the first place. Not having windows in that in-law freaked me out. Sure I would have way more peace and quiet, way more room, and a garden outside, but it would feel like I was living in a cave and I think that would drive me insane after awhile. I need light, windows and lots of lots of sunshine. This love of light and sun must come from island upbringing. We had big windows in my childhome home.

Two more apartments tomorrow. Yikes! My gut keeps telling me to wait for a place that feels really, really good. That I'll know it when I see it, like I how I knew about this place when I first saw it. My gut also keeps saying that rents will still come down, if I just wait another month.

So in the mean time, I'll just move my whole apartment around and disrupt my current way of life. It's already disrupted big time anyway. What's a little more disruption in my life? Besides, maybe my life will change if I just move my stuff. You never know.

No comments: