Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, June 16, 2003

I saw "Bruce Almighty" on Friday, only because "2 Fast 2 Furious" was sold out. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, because Bruce did have some nice special effects.

Jim Carrey is so funny, and the screenplay was so sweet. People in the theatre clapped at the end, which doesn't happen all the time.

"Bruce Almighty" is the kind of story, screenplay I wish I could write. It's sweet, it has a great message, and it was so funny without being schmaltzy.

Jim Carrey is a genius, but I think I sort of agree with a reviewer in the San Francisco Bay Guardian when he wrote, "Carrey has a dark edge". Carrey really skated the edge of something, I don't know what, when he was complaining about his life in this move.

I don't know. I detected maybe a little more bitterness than perhaps what was necessary for the character, maybe a little more ego than what the character should have had. I saw the extra bitterness and ego as more Jim Carrey being himself than being a character.

Carrey took the angry middle aged white male thing very close to the edge of sarcasm, but perhaps his genius is he didn't go over the edge, but just skirted it maybe a little too dangerously.

As a movie viewer, I did buy the ending of the movie, but the edginess of Carrey's portrayal of Bruce still stands out in my mind.

No comments: