Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Tonight was the last night of my kerygma bible study class, and all I really learned is that the bible requires more intense study. I think it would be fun to be a biblical scholar or at least know the bible backwards and forwards.

The Bible is referenced so much in western literature, in plays, on tv, even in the metaphysical arts like tarot readings.

We had to write a 150 words or less statement on what the bible is about. I spent two hours trying to write my statement up, and it kind of felt like I was writing a statement of faith.

I wrote about four different versions and ended up with a fifth one that I sort of like, sort of don't like, but decided to keep because I had other bible homework to do. My statement ended up being a bit longer than 150 words, but here it is.

**********
Through stories, songs and letters, the Bible shows and teaches us as individuals and a community how to be in a relationship with God as expressed in the trinity of God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. The Bible also shows us how to be in relationship with other people, the larger community and the world, through the teachings and examples of Jesus Christ

I’ve used the Bible as a handbook, a manual, and a roadmap to deepen my relationship with God. No matter where I am in my faith experience and journey, I’ve always been able to find someone in the bible to relate to.

For me, the two most important ideas that the Bible expresses are 1) “For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.” (NRSV, John 3:16), and 2) “In everything do to others as you would have them do to you;” (NRSV, Matthew 7:12)
**********

I really like the idea of the bible as a handbook, a manual and a roadmap in how to be be in a relationship with the trinity of God the father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, for an individual and a community.

I think the last part is my statement of faith or at least what I think is bible's most important teachings. I probably should have added a third idea of Jesus teaching "to love God", but I didn't think about that part. If I had to write it up again, I would add "to love god" as the third idea, if I could find a biblical text I liked that expresses this idea.

No comments: