Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Speaking about confidence in my writing skills. I forgot to mention last month that the head writer in our Brand department complimented me on one of my business letters. Every external letter I write has to go through the Brand department to make sure that whatever is sent out adheres to what the company's brand image. The head writer in Brand said she was using going to use one of my letters as an example of how to do something. That's pretty cool huh?

The sales/marketing manager in my division told me I was one of better writers in the division, and in the whole company outside of the Brand department. The woman has a PhD in English and is a terrific writer, so when she told me this I was in awe. She does not give out compliments very easily. She knows I want to be a writer, and I asked her if she would edit my stories for me. I told her I would of course pay her, and she agreed. I think she would make not only a good grammar editor, but a good content editor as well.

I never think of myself as a good business writer, so to be complimented like this at work is such an ego boost for me. I am starting to believe that despite my bad opinion of myself as a writer, I'm not that bad. I know I need to brush up on my grammar and to think about wordsmithing more for my fiction stories, but at least I seem to have the basic skills of writing, which is really all you need to be a good business writer.

No comments: