Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, May 08, 2002

I'm so bummed. This radio station that I liked Z95.7 FM has changed to some bad 70's classic rock music station. God, how boring. There was a report in the Contra Costa Times that on Tuesday, all the deejays from Z95.7 got let go. Like we need another make me fall asleep classic rock music station in the Bay Area.

I check the radio station ratings on this website called rronline.com and here's the latest top 14 radio stations in the SF/Bay Area, which is the fourth largest market after NYC, LA and Chicago.

1. KGO - news talk radio - I listen to this station during the day - best talk show hosts, liberal view point.
2. KOIT - sappy pop songs, but good if you're in that kind of mood.
3. KCBS - news talk radio, has the most frequent traffic reports.
4. KSFO - news talk radio, conservative view point, home of Art Bell.
5. KYLD - wild 94.9, total hip hop 24/7 - gangsta rap bootie music, some alt rock thrown in
6. KDFC - classical music, okay I listen to this station alot when I write.
7. KMEL - hip hop 24/7 - more gangsta rap bootie music, their hip hop is a little edgier
8. KFRC - total oldies, but nothing past 1980, mostly 50's and 60 music
9. KSOL - hispanic - love the spanish versions of pop songs
10. KFOG - classic rock adult contemporary, makes me totally fall asleep when I listen to it, sad too because I used to listen to this radio station alot but they play way too many 70's and 80's rock anthems and they make me feel like an oldie, even the blues music they play isn't all that great - too much bayou and not enough chitown electric, and what the hell happened to the Grateful Dead Hour, the only great thing they've got is 10 at 10.
11. KKSF - total elevator music, although they call it smooth jazz, more like music as SOMA, only Delta and Epsilons types from Brave New world will listen to this station
12. KBLX - adult urban contemporary, they play Anita Baker way too many times and not enough Al Green
13. K101 - not sure what their identity is because they keep switching, but I think they now play 80's and 90's hits
14. KITS - Live 105 - a personal favorite since forever!

I remember reading an article in the Bay Guardian a few years back about how radio stations took hip hop to the suburbs. I guess it's true. After all the oldie but goodies stations, the most listened to music is hip/hop, although I think it's now considered just popular music.

Still, I will miss Z95.7 because they played all the sickie hits from the likes of people like Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys and Nsync. Where else are you going listen to Top 40 type music, which is so great for driving home from work.

I'm listening to KYLD now, which SFGate calls Urban Top 40. It's not too bad. They're playing a song by that rapper from St. Louis called Nelly and I actually like him and even bought his first CD. I guess I'll get used to losing that other top 40 station. Still, it's such a bummer. Just don't take away Live 105, which I've been listening to since I moved here. Where else am I going to hear power chords and angst filled music?

No comments: