Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, August 21, 2003

I finally finished reading Michael Lewis' book, "Liar's Poker". It's an interesting book, and you can still see the after effects of everything he brought up about the financial markets.

Mr. Lewis has apparently written a new book on major leag baseball and the Oakland A's which I intend to read. From the reviews I've read on the book and the interview I heard with Lewis, you could say that Billy Bean, the Oakland's A's general manager, could be akin to Michael Milken and the junk bond market.

Bean looks for "underperforming players", and using his own set of ratios such "base on balls percentage", signs them for the A's for cheap. These low salaried players, then end up become pretty good players for the A's. You get a good player for a cheap price.

It's the rationale that Lewis said Milken created with the junk bond market. Don't buy the bonds of good companies, when they are overpriced and whose value have nowhere to go but down. Instead, pick a company that is undervalued and if your research is right, will eventually rise in value. Or something like that.

No comments: