Luke 14-16, Psalm 119:1-32
Luke 14:10-11 (NLT)
“‘Instead, take the lowest place at the foot of the table. Then when your host sees you, he will come and say, ‘Friend, we have a better place for you!’ Then you will be honored in front of all the other guests. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.’”
In Luke 14:10–11, Jesus spoke to the guests at a meal in the home of a Pharisee about humility. Christ told them to choose the lowest seat. The host had the authority to assign places at the table, and the person who chose a lower place might then be invited by the host to move to a place of greater honor in front of the other guests. Jesus then said that those who exalt themselves will be humbled, but those who humble themselves will be exalted.
One Bible commentary I read noted that believers need to be content with whatever place the Lord allows them to have. When a believer willingly accepts a lower place, they avoid thinking too highly of themselves. Another Bible commentary I read noted that the honor we seek should not come from people but from Father-God. Jesus wants believers to demonstrate humility in their actions and social interactions. Exalting oneself is an expression of pride, while humility allows us to leave our position and recognition in Father-God's hands. Exaltation should come from Father-God and in His timing.
What stood out to me in these verses is that when a person thinks too highly of themselves, it can be a form of pride that seeks to secure status from the world rather than from the Lord. Father-God knows our true worth and sees the heart of each follower. I need to seek honor from the Lord rather than from people or the world and trust Father-God with how and when He chooses to honor me. I don't need to elevate myself because I can trust Father-God with my place and purpose.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who teaches us to walk in humility and trust Father-God with our place and purpose—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment