Luke 10-11, Psalm 117
Luke 11:9-10 (NLT)
“And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.”
In Luke 11:9–10, Jesus talks to His disciples about praying with persistence. Jesus tells them to keep asking, seeking, and knocking rather than making only a passing request. Christ teaches them that Father-God does not ignore their prayers. They can pray with confidence, trusting that Father-God hears them and will respond.
One Bible commentary I read noted that when believers pray, they express dependence on the Lord rather than relying on their own human self-sufficiency. Believers need to pray with the steady devotion of someone who knows Father-God is not reluctant or inaccessible to His children. Jesus describes prayer as taking action—asking, seeking, and knocking—which requires initiative and persistence. Prayer means that believers trust in the Lord because they know He will respond, and it is the Lord's character to be attentive to His children.
When I read these verses and the commentaries, it struck me that several of them described prayer as a way of engaging in a relationship with the Lord and emphasized that prayer requires initiative and action. I was taught to pray to the Lord as a child, but I never saw prayer as active or as taking initiative. I also never saw prayer as an act of dependence on the Lord. Sometimes I feel ashamed praying repeatedly for the same thing because repeated asking still feels like whining to me. But I appreciate how Jesus compared prayer to knocking on a friend's door at midnight with “shameless persistence.” It reminds me that Father-God doesn't want me to be ashamed to keep bringing my needs to Him. I can pray boldly and persistently while still trusting Him with the answer.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who teaches us to approach Father-God confidently and persistently in prayer—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment