Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, January 13, 2006

So I'm at home right now because I'm exhausted and it's been busy week at work. I have screenwriting seminar on Sunday, and I have not written anything. I am so bad. I am paying about $100 per class for which I get about 1-1.5 hours of really good feedback, and I'm not writing.

I don't have my plot down and I don't like writing a screenplay until I am happy with my plot. The trouble is that it sometimes takes me four months to nail a plot down. Once I have my plot nailed down, I can write a screenplay in two weeks. This is my process. It might not be ideal, but it's worked so far.

I think what I might end up doing is handing in 10 pages just to get feedback. I definitely need to take my laptop with me on vacation and ruminate about my screenplay. I really thought I had a good plot, but the feedback I keep getting is I don't know my character yet and I need to decide who she is.

Honestly, since I now seem to spend 75% of my paying job doing business and tech writing, I have absolutely no energy for any creative writing. I thought I always wanted a writing job that paid, and that's what I have. But I meant a writing job where I write my own stories, not where I write newsletters and presentations.

I think I just have to make myself stick to a writing schedule, and even though my creative writing muse seems to have taken a vacation, the books say if you just show up and write, eventually you'll start writing. I hope so.

No comments: