Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, October 07, 2024

Day 279 Bible Readings – Colossians 2: 13-14 (ESV)

Jeremiah 11: 18-23, Jeremiah 12-13, Colossians 2: 6-23, Psalm 148: 7-14

Colossians 2: 13-14 (ESV)

“And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.”

Verses 13 and 14 from Colossians 2 shows Paul reminding the Church in Colossae of what they were before they came to faith in Jesus Christ. Paul tells us that before we came to faith in Christ, we are dead with our sins. Through our belief in Jesus, we are made alive together with him. Christ cancelled the debt of sins when he died for us on the cross.

I love this imagery of our sins being wiped by Christ’s death on the cross. I was at a Good Friday Service a few years ago, and they passed out papers for us to write down our sins. Then we were instructed to put them on large pieces of wood by nailing them with small nails. The pastor then told us after the service, they were going to burn the pieces of wood the next day with our pieces of paper attached to them. I love the imagery of our sins being burnt and destroyed on a cross or pieces of wood, the way Jesus wiped out our sins when he died on the cross. The kinesthetic feeling I also experienced of nailing my sin-filled paper to the piece of wood was overwhelming to me. I thought of Christ being nailed to the cross for my sins, and I was the one who was nailing him to the cross with my doubts and times of disobedience to him. It was such a powerful experience that I vividly remember to this day.


No comments: