Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Day 287 Bible Readings – 2 Thessalonians 2: 13 (ESV)

Jeremiah 29: 24-32, Jeremiah 30, Jeremiah 31: 1-14, 2 Thessalonians 2, Proverbs 15: 15-23

2 Thessalonians 2: 13 (ESV)

“But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.”

In verse 13 from 2 Thessalonians 2, Paul wrote to the Church of the Thessalonians that he gives thanks to God for the church members because God chose them to be saved from the beginning. In the same way, we can know that God also chose us to be saved in the beginning because of our belief and faith in Jesus Christ. God also chose and the members of the Church of the Thessalonians to be saved through sanctification. The word “sanctification” means we are “separated from the world and separated unto God.” I was listening to sermon by Pastor David Guzik on what the word sanctification, and he says there are three (3) categories of sanctification. Here’s the link to the sermon: 

The first category of sanctification is positional sanctification, which means we are automatically sanctified because of our faith in Jesus Christ. The second category of sanctification is decisive sanctification, which means we are fully surrendered to God and we choose to be set apart from the world. Pastor Guzik said we are on “Team Jesus”, but not a part of the world. Some would say we have evidence of sanctification because of our behavior and how we choose to live. And the third category of sanctification is progressive sanctification, which is the continual renewal and the growing of our surrender to God.

I like these different categories of sanctification especially the last one because in my case, surrender to God has been a continual process. I am more surrendered to God now than I have ever been in my whole life. I read the Bible daily and at the request of the Holy Spirit, I write and blog about what I’ve read so I can immerse myself more fully in God’s words. Does this mean I am saved? I don’t know because that decision will only come from the grace of God, but what I do know is that I have a deeper relationship with God that I expect to grow and deepen until the day I die. And right now, this is enough for me.

No comments: