Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Day 273 Bible Readings – Philippians 2: 1-4 (ESV)

Jeremiah 1, Jeremiah 2: 1-30, Philippians 1: 27-30, Philippians 2: 1-11, Psalm 145: 8-13

Philippians 2: 1-4 (ESV)

“So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.”

In verses 3 and 4 from Philippians 2, Paul gives advice to the Church in Philippi on how to have unity. The first step is to never do anything because of “selfish ambition” or for your own desire or advancement. The second step is not do anything because of “conceit” or because you fell you so important that you think no one can do it better than you. The third and final step to have unity is always do everything with an attitude of humility where you act and behave like Jesus. Jesus by his actions always put the interests of others before his own desires. Jesus healed people wherever he went and treated each person with love and care. Paul then says to act not only with you own interests in mind, but to keep in mind the welfare of others.

Paul’s advice seems easy enough, but I know the hardest thing to stop is the “conceit” and “humility” part. We are taught in our modern culture to have “good self-esteem” and to take pride in everything we do. But I know that often my pride went to my head, and I started thinking I was better than everyone else because of all the work I was doing. God gave me this gift, and I needed to show it off and get recognition for it. With these kinds of thoughts in my head, I was no longer acting with humility, but with pride and ego. I was working for myself, and not for others and certainly not for God. When recognition came for my efforts, it felt empty and meaningless because my ego and my pride were never satisfied. Had I been working instead with God and others in mind, I would have felt more satisfaction and joy for just being able to contribute my gifts for the glory of God and to help others. So now I always check myself before I do anything – am I acting in selfish ambition and conceit? Or, am I acting with my own an other people’s best interests in mind?

No comments: