Luke 8-9, Psalm 116
Luke 8:18 (NLT)
“So pay attention to how you hear. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what they think they understand will be taken away from them.”
In Luke 8:18, Jesus tells the people listening to Him that they need to pay attention to how they hear. Those who truly receive His teachings will grow in their understanding, while those who hear without really receiving what He teaches can lose even the understanding they think they have. Jesus' words show that it matters not only that we hear the Word, but also how we receive it.
When I read this verse, I thought about how I used to listen to the Bible readings at church. I listened, but I didn't actively listen so that I could apply what I heard to my life. I know that at certain points in my life, I started to think that none of what I was hearing at church made sense for my life, and I began backsliding. After I came back to my faith, I started reading the Bible and sometimes listened to it being read aloud. I tried to listen to the Bible actively, but the teachings still weren't taking root.
When I became more aware of the role of the Holy Spirit in my life, the Holy Spirit guided me to start writing about verses that stood out to me and how they applied to my life. When I write a reflection on Bible verses each day, I read Bible commentaries on the verses that stand out to me and think about what they are teaching me or how I can apply those verses to my life. Doing this for the last couple of years has helped the teachings of Christ and the Word take root more deeply in my life and has deepened my faith.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One whose words can take root in your heart and transform how you live—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment