Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, February 17, 2002

Othello is everywhere. The opera version of Othello is on TV right now and a few weeks ago, they had the modern BBC version of Othello. The BBC mod Othello was very good although I agree with one reviewer I read, when he said that it was hard to believe that a top notch police detective like Othello could be fooled so easily. The Iago character or Jago was much better in the BBC version and they give him a bigger part to where the veiwer sees him reaping the rewards of his treachery. How very realistic of the Britts.

I saw Othello on stage at ACT a few years ago and it was very good. The Othello actor was very strong and he has to be to make the play work. I saw another version done by a director friend of mine and the woman playing Desdemona was so bad. She played Desdemona like a valley girl air head and spoke that way, all whiney and nasally and so spoiled, that at the end I was so happy that Othello killed her. I don't think that was the right reaction to have at the end of Othello.

I love opera. It's all so dramatic. It's soap opera story lines set to great music. And the costumes and sets are great. I saw a Stravinsky opera a couple of years ago. The famous welsh tenor Brynn Terfel was in it. I don't remember the name of the opera but the story was quite good and the plot reminded me of the dot com failures that were happening at the time. Stravinsky is not the best music for opera, but the costumes were beautiful and the set for one of the scenes was spectacular.

No comments: