Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, February 21, 2005

For my Christmas/bday present, a friend took me to see the Broadway play "Caroline or Change". We had orchestra seats which were nice, and despite the fact that I'm not a big Tony Kushner fan, I really enjoyed the play. It's fun to see a Broadway musical in San Francisco, without having to go all the way to NYC. One of the characters in the play even won a Tony last year for best support actress in a musical for her role in this play. She's a local favourite, and my friend reminded me that we saw her in "Tartuffe" and "Resurrection: Changing History" at ACT. She even thanked ACT in her acceptance speech at the Tonys last year.

I liked the musical a lot, although the end left me very unsatisfied somehow. But all Tony Kushner's plays have that affect on me so I shouldn't be surprised. Sometimes I think he tries to be a bit too clever and intellectual for his audience, and it robs his plays of what the greeks would call a "cathartic ending." Oh well, whatever, it was a fun play to watch and singing was phenomenal.

No comments: