Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, June 01, 2002

Dogtown and Z-Boys is one of the best movies I've ever seen of its genre. It ranks up there with my two personal favorites,Endless Summer 1 and Endless Summer 2. I remember seeing my first skateboarding championship in 1975. It was so radical and so hot. I was too young to know who it was, but my little girl memory tells me the dude was cute as heck with his surfer dude long hair.

A fascination with surfing, skateboarding, canoeing, windsurfing and ocean kayaking is one of the few things I've held onto from my island girl days, when I was flitting around in a bikini, body surfing and dying to date a surfer type guy. I love the whole surf/skateboard and the whole water sports sub culture, only because I grew up with it and hell, I even had my own skateboard and was pretty darn good rider for a girl.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I love BMX bike riding too, only because I used to dirt ride down hill with my bike and pop wheelies and try to do all kinds of tricks. I was quite the tomboy. I was thin and I had short hair and no rack whatsoever and guys wouild come up to me and ask me if I was a boy. Then puberty hit and the rack got way too big and then the hips, weigt and everything else came and well, welcome to womanhood. What a drag, at least at first, until boys noticed and then it was Hello Bikinis, long hair and trying to figure out the best way to shave your legs and underarms so they were ultrasmooth and sexy.

I read the review for Dogtown in the Chron and the little man was sleeping, but the NY Times gave it a great review and now I know why. If the movie ever comes out on DVD or video, I'm definitely going to buy it. I wish they'd put out a soundtrack to it too. I should see if they have a website so I can send them an email and let know them how much I loved the movie. I think I could watch that movie over and over again and never get tired of it.

That movie brought back one of my goals, which is to collect all the surfing and skateboarding movies and DVDs out there. You know, start my own beach bunny girl surf and skateboard movie collection. I used to love to skateboard too. I never tried surfing, but sandsurfed, bodysurfed and boogie boarded instead. Also tried windsurfing in Bali once and ocean kayaking in Mexico, right where they filmed the beach scene in that movie Y Tu Mama Tambien. I haven't seen the movie but from the promos, I recognized the beach and rock, only because I kayaked everyday around that rock. I guess I'll have to see the movie just to see if the area is Huatulco, a resort area I vacationed at one December.

What else? I bought some running shoes and didn't play cheap for once and spent $85 on a pair of running shoes. I tried on about 8 pairs before deciding that I should stick to my favorite brand ASICS. I was dying to buy a pair of New Balance shoes, because everyone says they're much more comfortable, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've always worn ASICS running shoes. I ran three New York City marathons in ASICS running shoes. Why jinx myself now?

I mean, not that I'm in the shape I was when I ran marathons, but it's hard to give up a shoe brand you've always had good luck with. Do guys feel the same way about their equipment?

I've been wondering, since the Ken Caminiti interview, what it would be like to be a guy. If your testorone levels drop, do you become more like a woman? If so, how? The olympic athlete guy who called up said he couldn't make love to his wife for years, why? Because of loss of testerone? I've read that loss of testosterone in men leads to decreased sexual desire. But women don't have alot of testosterone and they still have sexual desires.

I do have some friends who have gone through menopause and they said that the loss of estrogen decreased their sexual desire, so maybe it's the same for women too.

I wrote a screenplay with a male character and I don't think I did my baseball player dude any justice. I just don't know what it's like to be a boy and feel like such a fraud writing about the male experience. I've always tried to believe that everyone, men and women, are the same, but I'm not so sure anymore. I think men and women feel all the same things, but they just process it differently. It's the difference I think that I underestimated.

But I like men, adore men, worship them sometimes even, because they are so different, or at least they appear to be. Their bodies are harder, hairier, they think differently too, although I think it's rare that a man would admit it, SNAGS, Sensitive New Age Guys would deny it to their dying day, which is why I try to never date SNAGs. But I live in Northern California and SNAGs are everywhere, so one can't but help dating one now and again, although each experience has never been very good.

No comments: