Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, June 18, 2002

I saw Lagaan on Sunday and I loved it. God, I love Bollywood movies and this one was a doozy and a half. A 30's musical in an isolated indian village complete with singing and beautiful people. The star of the indian epic looks like the Krishna portrayed in all the posters you see at hippie shops and at indian grocery stores. Which fits just right, since the village has a Krishna and Radha temple and there's even a Krishna and Radha dance.

Any spiritual chick worth her salt fantasizes, thinks actually, that she was a reincarnated Gopi girl who sat at Krishna's feet. At least, all my friends did. I never did, but that's another story.

The movie credits said it was a joint Indian and Brittish production. Which is interesting, since the Brits were played so one-dimensional and mean. I was watching the movie the movie and every time the Brits were mean to people, I was chanting Bande Materam, which was the chant used during the Ghandi revolution to free India from Brit colonial rule. Bande Materam which means Mother I bow to Thee, the mother being Mother India. That and my vague memories of the Indian national anthem going through my head. You almost want to yell at the screen, see, this is a perfect example of white people colonialism at its worst. And the Brits paid for their meaness too. Today, the Indians rule the cricket world and the Brits are horrible at it.

I loved the music. I think I'm going to have to try to get the soundtrack for it. I might even have track down the videos/DVD for this movie. It was that good.

And the cricket. Well, at least I now understand cricket. It's kind of like baseball in an odd way and I'm sure baseball has its roots in cricket. You bowl or pitch, you bat, and you score runs, except the Brits do it all wearing whites just like in tennis.

And the dance numbers. They were a riot. The whole movie was entertaining. You never see anything that campy, fun and overly dramatic in Hollywood cinema today. We need more Bollywood to come to America.

Then I saw Mulholland Drive. God, I love David Lynch. He is so strange and wonderful. This movie made me want to go back and rewatch all of David Lynch's other movies because images from his other movies are repeated in this one. This movie was one of the most thought provoking movies I've ever seen in my life. I would put this movie up there with Bulworth, another movie which I totally loved. I wish I'd seen this movie in the big screen. I mean, Being John Malcovich was child's play compared to Mulholland Drive.

David Lynch is so spooky and scary and I love how he weaves all his various scenes together to make one cohesive whole. The movie got kind of odd after the woman opened the blue box and I was like "what the hell just happened". But then while lying in bed, I got it. The last scene of the movie is the blue haired woman saying "Silencio" which is that weird theatre of the absurd that was in the movie. I mean, only in LA, will you even see such existential bullshit being done.

At Silencio, the announcer guy keeps saying that what you're seeing isn't real. Which is actually kind of funny in a movie, which also not real and fiction. So it's like, it's a fiction within a ficiton, within a fiction, within a fiction of someone's mind. BRILLIANT!

What's real in the movie? Who knows? Does it matter? It's a movie whose very nature is to tell a lie and not to tell the truth. But we sit there in the audience expecting to see truth. Why? It's movie, not a documentary. The movie is not supposed to tell the truth, it's supposed to lie, it's supposed to stretch the boundaries of reality further, further than real life ever could. So in a cosmically absurd way, it doesn't matter that the story doesn't make sense, especially the beginning, maybe even the whole thing.

I'm going to have read reviews of this movie just to see what other critics have had to say.

No comments: