Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, June 04, 2002

I feel like I've been running around like a chicken without a head since I didn't make any concrete writing goals after I finished my screenplay. I finished my screenplay on May 6 and I've been on vacation for a month, which has been fun but definitely directionless and a little depressing. Depressing only because when I'm not writing, I start focusing on the petty things going on in my life. Writing grounds me to what is real and important in my life. Thank god for my bloggie though, because without it I wouldn't be writing at all, well except for my daily journal.

These are my summer 2002 goals.

1. Rewrite # 1 of Playing Catch with Dad Screenplay - rewrite to be complete and ready to be handed out for review in group by August 5.

2. If Rewriting class firms out for an August start date, then finish second rewrite of screenplay by 5th session of class.

3. Finish Rewrite #1 of Crazy Eddie by June 15. Don't forget the Beat Sheet

4. Finish first draft of Shopping Center Carnival by June 30

5. Over vacation in July - finish first draft of scifi comedy short story working title - The Girl from Planet Orr. Story to be based on the function of the conjunctions - and, but and or, not quite conjunction function, but close. More like a love story between the girl from planet Orr and the man from Planet Annd, plus I'm throwing in the people from planet But. Not sure if this will work as a scifi story, but what the hell I've had worse ideas. First draft to be completed July 15.

This is sad. I'm like one of those people who need goals to get anything accomplished in my life. Talent in writing is such a subjective thing. Who knows if I have talent as a writer? What I do know is that I can set goals for myself and then complete them and discipline and work seem to be integral to the writing life. Everything else that comes along in my life, seems to trivial and minor compared to my writing. I was a workaholic in previous jobs so maybe I'm just tranferring all my workaholic energy to my writing. Who knows? Writing is becoming essential to me, like breathing and eating. I have to write at this point in my life, whether I want to do it or not. Kind of drag in a way, to be tied to some thing outself of yourself, like your writing, but fun too because writing is a creative act which enriches your life in every way.




No comments: