Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, June 14, 2002

Water fasting today. Water fasting is supposed to be good for you, helping to clear your body of toxins and to break your addiction to food like anything chocolate. I had never done a water fast before until last week. A juice fast maybe, but never a straight water fast. I have such a thing about food too because I think I maybe hypoglycemic, meaning if I don't eat, I get totally nauseous.

But when I water fasted last week, shockingly enough, I didn't get nauseous and I felt fine. I don't know if this means my health is better or maybe I just had this belief in my head that if I didn't eat every 3 or 4 hours, I'd die. I just don't know. It's weird to think you can survive without any food except for water because it goes against what all the health books teach you.

I told a friend of mine about water fasting and she said that water fasting has been around for years, it's even in the bible. All the other religions fast too and do it regularly. It's hard to know who to believe anymore as far as your health. The health and diet industry is a billion dollar business and when money is involved, it's hard to know if you're really getting accurate information.

It's not like I truly water fast anyway. I always cheat a little and eat small bits of food but it feels like I still get the same benefit. Tomorrow I eat only fruit and veggies. Last week, I ate fruits and veggies whole and not juiced. This time I think I will juice to see if that makes a difference.

Last week I ate a huge fruit salad and it was so delicious and wonderful in this hot weather. Then I ate steamed veggies and I don't know. I spent my 20's eating bushels full of steamed veggies and brown rice and I just don't know if I can do it anymore. But then in my 20's I was running 20-30 miles a week and yoga was a breeze.

Speaking of yoga, I feel like getting into it again. I first did yoga when I was high school because I knew people who were practicing it. I had incredible flexibility back then from my gymnastic background and yoga was this ultra cool way to twist your body into all these weird positions. I borrowed a book from the library that showed some homely indian guy doing all these amazing things and I just did whatever positions I could, which was almost 80% of the book.

I never got into it as meditation practice. To me it was just fun, like aerobics, like exercise, like an extension of gymastics. Even after I formally joined a meditation group and was meditating 3 hours or more a day, I didn't do any yoga exercises. If I wanted to exercise, I ran. Running was like meditation for me.

Every once in awhile, I still did the few yoga positions I did remember, mostly because they were fun and I liked being able to stretch my body and yoga is such a great way to stretch.

But it was until 1998 that I actually take a formal yoga class. Whatever flexibility I had in my youth was gone and I struggled through most of the exercises. Interestingly enough, after three months 1/3 of my flexibility came back. I still don't think of it as meditation though. Meditation to me is sitting still, quieting your mind, seeing colours and auras and getting that incredible high. Yoga postures are like fun exercises to see if you can twist your body into a pretzel.

Now I feel a sudden urge to practice my yoga again. Maybe even get back into a class. I'd love to take it from this ballet teacher that I know. If I want to take yoga, I like to take it from a dance teacher. They bring all their ballet training and most of them have also had Alexander and Pilates training too, so it's like getting all three disciplines in one class.

The classes with the ballet teacher doesn't start till the fall, so I gues until then I'll practice it on my own. I went through my video collection and I found a bunch of yoga videos that I forgot I owned. I wonder if it's possible to get 100% of my youthful flexibility back. I used to do the cobra position and be able to touch my feet to my head. This kind of flexibility is my goal.

No comments: