Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, July 19, 2024

Day 198 Bible Readings for July 18 – Amos 5: 21-24 (ESV)

Amos 5, Romans 6: 1-15, Psalm 106: 40-48

Amos 5: 21-24 (ESV)

“I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the peace offerings of your fattened animals, I will not look upon them. Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen. But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.”

Verses 21 through 24 from Amos 5 show God speaking through Amos about how he did not like people giving me offering and feast and songs because of the injustice that was being done. Amos was a prophet during the time of King Jeroboam I in Israel. God sent Amos to deliver a message to the people of the northern kingdom of Israel to stop abusing its own people and worshipping new idols. Many bible commentaries have noted that Amos was saying the same things Jesus said referred to in the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus said to be reconciled against those who have wronged you before you bring gifts to God.

I find these verses interesting because it does make wonder if this is truly God’s reaction to people in church who worship, but have not repented to God of their sins. It’s almost like Amos is saying God will let people worship God all they want thinking God has forgiven them all of their sins, but God will not accept their worship. God will still bring justice on people for the wrongs they have done if they do not repent. It is not enough to just worship God, we need to ask God for repentance of our sins. Even if we have faith in Christ, it’s not a free pass to sin all we want thinking that God will always forgive us. We must always make a sincere attempt to follow God’s law, and always ask God for forgiveness of our sins.

No comments: