Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Day 203 Bible Readings – Romans 7: 24-25 (ESV)

Hosea 6 & 7, Romans 7: 7-25, Psalm 108: 1-5

Romans 7: 24-25 (ESV)

“Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.”

Verses 24 and 25 from Romans 7 is the conclusion of Paul’s question of whether the law is sin. Paul argues that sin eventually leads to death. Even if we are saved in Jesus Christ and given a new life, we will still struggle with sin. Paul writes “For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.” Even though we may delight in the law of God, we will always face a struggle within ourselves between our body and our mind to commit sin. Paul argues that the only way to win this inner struggle with sin is to rely on Christ. We cannot face this struggle alone. Faith in Jesus doesn’t take away the struggle, but Jesus works through so we can victory over sin. David Guzik in his bible commentary has argued that 1) the law teaches us what not do but we couldn’t do because of our sinful nature, and 2) the law tells us what we need to do like a coach but we still couldn’t do it, and 3) the law cannot heal our sinful nature; what we need is a savior and that savior is Jesus Christ.

No comments: