Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

I've been renting the HBO series "Band of Brothers", and when I think about what those guys went through I feel ashamed at my own meager suffering. I had this same feeling when I watched Adrien Brody in "The Pianist" last year. I felt ashamed for worrying about getting laid off, when the pianist character had to worry about staying alive.

My film history teacher is your typical political left wing college professor. He was denigrating the actions of the US in World War 2, especially after he'd seen Robert MacNamara in "The Fog of War". MacNamara was the one who ordered the fire bombing of Japan, and my film history teacher was ranting on about that.

And I'm sitting there thinking, okay, the Nazis bombed London, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and Robert MacNamara is a bad guy. I'm not about to defend Robert MacNamara, but come on. You can't single him out, and not talk about the Nazi bombings of Europe, the Final Solution and the Holocaust of the Jews, not to mention how many chinese people the Japanese army killed. The Chinese still bear grudges against Japan for those wartime atrocities.

I wouldn't mind that my film history professor was a left wing political radical so much, if he could argue his position logically instead of taking the moral high ground. What, like he doesn't think that the people in the class don't know their world war 2 history as well.

Of course no one in class says anything back to him. Why even bother? It's so not worth it. Why argue with someone who doesn't base his opinions on logic? The film history professor only softened his world war 2 stance when one of the guys in class brought his dad to class. He wouldn't have dared spout that illogical world war 2 anti-US rhetoric against someone who looked like they could have been a young soldier defending the country during the second world war.

Why he does it to us his class is so disrespectful, like we're so uneducated that we couldn't argue his butt into the ground if we felt like it. But it's a night class, who has the energy to argue with a left wing political nut? When he starts his political ranting, people just sit there frozen and no one talks and we pray that he shut up and just start the movie. This is a film history class, and not a platform for him to spout his illogical anti-US drivel.

And I sit there thinking, well, now I know why people don't want to fund public education. He wouldn't be so bad either, if he could just argue his opinions logically and use facts. I could respect him for that, because I would know he respected me enough to make sure his arguments make sense. But he doesn't do that, and he talks to us like we don't know anything about anything. It's kind of like getting an education at the DMV.

No comments: