Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Day 232 Bible Readings – 1 Corinthians 14: 3-4 (ESV)

2 Chronicles 10-12, 1 Corinthians 141: 1-19, Psalm 119: 105-112

1 Corinthians 14: 3-4 (ESV)

“On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.”

Verses 3 and 4 from 1 Corinthians 14 shows Paul talking about the differences between the people who can prophesy and those can speak in tongues. If you have the gift of speaking in tongues, you are speaking to God and building yourself up in your relationship with God. If you have the gift of being able to prophesy, you build the church up and encourage and console other people.

I did not think I had the gift of speaking in tongues, but I had some friends pray for me and I received this gift. It’s a new thing for me and I’m not even sure I’m doing it right, but I do understand what Paul means when this gift builds you up. When I speak in tongues I speak to God, and I am assuming he knows what I’m saying and what is in my heart.

I’ve been in services where people burst out prophesying, and whatever they say is always to specific people or about the church. For people, it’s almost all the time words of encouragement for their life, their afflictions, or whatever they are going through at the time. For the church, it’s always about what the church needs to focus on and what people need to do to get closer to God. I love the spontaneity of people who prophesy. It feels as if the words are flowing out of the person uncontrollably, and sometimes looks like the person doesn’t even know what they are saying. It’s an amazing phenomenon and I feel blessed whenever I am a witness to this kind of event.

If have a spiritual gift, do not be afraid of it. Cultivate it because whatever your spiritual gift is, God gave it to you to serve him and his plan in the world.

No comments: