Matthew 25-26, Psalm 93
Matthew 26:40-41 (NLT)
“Then he returned to the disciples and found them asleep. He said to Peter, ‘Couldn’t you watch with me even one hour? Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!’”
In Matthew 26:40–41, Jesus speaks to His three closest disciples after He finds them sleeping. Christ rebukes Peter for failing to keep watch with Him for even one hour while He prayed. Then Jesus tells the disciples to watch and pray so they will not fall into temptation. Christ acknowledges that their spirits may be willing, but their flesh is weak.
I've read these verses over the years, but today three things stood out to me. Jesus told Peter to watch and pray so he wouldn't give in to temptation. One Bible commentary I read noted that watching and praying means staying spiritually alert so we can guard against the subtle ways temptation can creep into our lives. The spiritual battle is often won or lost long before the crisis comes. Jesus also emphasized the need to recognize the weakness of our flesh and depend on the Lord's strength and help. Later, Christ promised that the Father would send another Helper to His disciples—the Holy Spirit.
These verses remind me why good intentions aren't enough. I recognize that wanting to follow Christ isn't the same as having enough strength to do it on my own. I need to rely on prayer and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance in fighting temptation and facing other challenges in my life. And I know that it's not weakness if I need to pray and ask for the Holy Spirit's guidance hourly or daily, depending on the kind of day I'm having. There is no shame in relying on Father-God 100% when I need His help.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who gives us the Holy Spirit to help us face the temptations and battles in our lives—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment