Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Day 264 Bible Readings - John 14:16-17 (NLT)

John 13-15, Psalm 109

John 14:16-17 (NLT)

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.”

In John 14:16–17, Jesus knew His disciples were troubled because He had told them He was leaving. Christ reassured them and said He would ask Father-God to send them another “Helper” who would never leave them. The Helper is the Holy Spirit, whom Jesus called the Spirit of truth. Jesus told His disciples that the Holy Spirit lived with them and would later be in them.

The ancient Greek word translated as “Helper” is paraklÄ“tos, which can describe someone called alongside to help, such as an advocate, counselor, or intercessor. One Bible commentary I read noted that Jesus understood His followers would need Father-God's presence and power to keep His commandments; they would need more help when He was gone, not less. Jesus promised that through the Holy Spirit, His followers would not be left alone as they lived the Christian life. The Holy Spirit would remain with them permanently, not temporarily.

I heard Evangelist Jonathan Shuttlesworth declare that you cannot believe in what you are not taught. Until I joined my new church, there wasn't much emphasis on the Holy Spirit and His potential role in the life of a Christian believer. The other churches I attended mentioned the Holy Spirit, but mostly in passing when He appeared in the Scriptures being taught. I believe the Holy Spirit has always been in my life, but I didn't recognize Him. I only knew that every so often I seemed to receive guidance from the Lord. But now I know more about the Holy Spirit, and at every church service, my pastor expands my knowledge of this Helper whom Jesus promised in these verses. Because of what I am learning, my awareness of the Holy Spirit's role in my life has expanded as well, and it does feel like I have Jesus beside me every day, helping me live my Christian life.

If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who promised us the Helper, the Holy Spirit, so that we would not have to live the Christian life alone—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.

Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.

If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.

No comments: