Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, September 14, 2026

Day 253 Bible Readings for September 12 - Mark 8:34-35 (NLT)

Mark 7-8, Psalm 98

Mark 8:34-35 (NLT)

“Then, calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.’”

In Mark 8:34–35, after Jesus told His disciples about His death and resurrection, He said that if anyone wants to follow Him, they must deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow Him. Following Christ means renouncing self-rule and surrendering personal desires and ambitions when they conflict with the Lord's will. Then Christ said that whoever tries to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for Him and for the gospel will save it. Loyalty to Jesus may require surrender and sacrifice, but through Him we ultimately find true and eternal life with Father-God.

When I read these verses, I thought about how much of my life I am willing to surrender to the Lord. I thought I had surrendered everything, but the guidance of the Holy Spirit keeps reminding me that surrender to Father-God is like peeling back the layers of an onion. There is always more to surrender to the Lord. There are surface things, like giving up alcohol, but there are also deeper things, like giving up family traditions and beliefs and even society's beliefs and traditions when they conflict with the Lord's will.

While I love the image of Jesus as the shepherd, I still have a hard time thinking of myself as a sheep because society has given sheep such a negative image of blind obedience, low intelligence, and lack of individuality. But when I researched sheep and their behavior, I learned that they are remarkably intelligent animals. Studies have shown that they can recognize human faces, remember paths, and navigate complex social relationships. They also flock together as a strategy for survival because there is greater protection in staying together. I pray daily and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance to help me surrender more to the Lord so I can follow His will for my life.

If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who calls us to surrender our lives to Him so that we may find true life in Him—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.

Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.

If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.

No comments: