John 16-18, Psalm 110
John 17:18-20 (NLT)
“Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth. I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message.”
In John 17:18–20, Jesus said that just as Father-God had sent Him into the world, He was sending His disciples into the world to continue His work and be faithful witnesses to Him. Then Jesus said He gave Himself as a holy sacrifice so that His disciples could be made holy by the truth. Jesus then said He was praying not only for His disciples, but also for every future believer who would come to believe in Him through their message.
These verses remind believers that Christ knew there would be many future believers who would come to believe in Him through the work of His disciples. One Bible commentary I read noted that Jesus knew His work would endure. He didn't have a vague hope about what the Holy Spirit would do through His disciples and future believers. Another Bible commentary noted that Jesus models for believers the importance of intercessory prayer. Christ prayed for and interceded on behalf of His future followers.
These verses show me the personal care and concern Christ had for His disciples and all His future believers. Jesus knew that Father-God had sent Him into the world and that He would give Himself as a sacrifice so that those who believed in Him could receive salvation. Christ also displayed complete faith and confidence that Father-God's plan would continue through His death and resurrection and through the work of His disciples as they spread His message. When I read these verses, I know that Jesus cares for me just as He cared for His first disciples. I am one of those future believers He was praying for, and that makes His prayer feel deeply personal to me.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who cares for all believers just as He cared for His first disciples—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment