Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, September 05, 2003

I keep wondering if I should play Fantasy Football league every year. I've always wanted to do it, just to see how I would do.

At this one company I worked for, there was an in-house fantasy football league. My boss, the director of Planning and Analysis, said I could be part of his team, but it all seemed like a big deal. All the bigwigs (the CFO, COO, Pres, VPs and directors) in the company played, and you could only play by invitation only.

And I think if I had played, I would have been the only girl playing. Like either the guys played by themselves and if there were teams, there were all guys. I was only allowed to play because I worked in Finance, and since the league was started by the CFO, anyone in Finance could play.

I didn't play because I didn't know any of the players. These same people played in either the weekly football pool and/or the March Madness pool, which I always participated in.

I didn't play because all of the horror stories I heard about the draft. The big thing in this fantasy football league was the draft. You sit around the room with everyone and dicker over players. My boss kept telling me how nasty people got, especially about picking quarterbacks and running backs.

The whole thing sounded like one giant testosterone fueled nightmare, only now played by people I worked with, sent reports to, sat in meetings with, even reported to.

I mean, it was bad enough sometimes having to sit through meetings where I was the only woman in at the table. It was part of my job, and I put up with it and everything was very business like and very civil.

I couldn't imagine having to do the same thing, but now for fun with bigwigs in my company who took the fantasy football thing way too seriously. Just reading the memos that were sent via email just to put the draft meeting together were enough to scare me off.

The draft had serious rules, you couldn't be late for it, and there was a whole bunch of warnings about the kind of behaviour not tolerated. I was reading them thinking, guys it's only a game, it's not like you're even a real owner of a team.

I mentioned this to my boss and he gave me a stern look and told me "if you aren't serious about it, maybe you shouldn't play because these guys are really, really into it." And I was like, fine, whatever.

It's just a game right? How serious can you really take fantasy football?

No comments: