Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

It's been interesting talking to my friends about the mayoral election. Sometimes I think the only thing I have in common politically with them is that:

1) none of us voted for Bush, and
2) we all can't stand him.

Other than these two related points, that's about it. I have pro-Gonzalez friends and pro-Newsome friends. And they're all voting for their candidate of choice for all completely different reasons.

One thing I am excited about, that I discovered about myself, is that when push comes to shove I'm a loyal and faithful democrat.

I used to think that the reason I couldn't see myself becoming a political consultant, was because you have to choose a party. You can't work for a democrat campaign, and then go work for a liberal and moderate republican campaign. Politics is too partisan to do that. I wanted the freedom to work for the best political candidate who can get the job done. It's the way I vote, after all.

Not that I've ever voted for a republican ever, but I like to think because I'm a fair-minded person that if one came along whom I actually liked I would vote for that person, even if he was a republican.

But with the 2000 presidential election debacle, the GOP taking back the south, Cali having a republican governor, and now this crazy SF mayoral election, I've learnt that if the democrats are ever going to retake the White House, the congress, the senate and the south and other regions of the country, the local race is where it starts.

The GOP political long term strategists figured this out a long, long time ago, and started getting their people elected at the local level, then at the state level, then into congress, and then into the senate, regions of the country became GOP voting blocs, and then ultimate political prize, the white house. It took them over 20 years to do it, but they did it, and they're still making gains.

This is not the time to split the party or jump to another party. I don't want another 4-12 years of GOP control of the executive function, the legislative function, and then at some the judicial function of this country.

I heard a politico qouted as saying, "All politics is local." They're right. The battle for the senate, the house and presidency starts with the local election, and I'm a good soldier who knows how to fight.

No comments: