Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, June 03, 2024

Day 153 Bible Readings - Psalm 84: 10-11 (ESV)

2 Samuel 2: 8-32, 2 Samuel 3: 1-21, John 21, Psalm 84: 8-12

Psalm 84: 10-11 (ESV)

“For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.”

I love verses 10 and 11 from Psalm 84. The psalmist loves God so much that he would rather spend a day in the court of God than a thousand days away from God. The psalmist would rather humbly serve in the house of God, than to live a luxurious life in “tents of wickedness.” The bible commentaries I read said that the doorkeeper in the lowliest position in a house, because the doorkeeper is first in and last out of a house. The psalmist then says God is a source of blessing like the sun and a defense as well. The psalmist says God had made a promise to not withhold blessings from those who love and follow him.

When I read these verses, it makes me wonder if I have the same kind of love for God that the Psalmist says he does. I know I would love to be in God’s house, but I don’t know about the most humblest position part. I’ve been in the role before where I had the lowliest jobs in a department, and I didn’t like it very much. I loved the group of people I worked with, but I did not like having the lowliest position. Some people can do that with a glad heart, but when I did it I had a very hard time. I’m thinking it would be different in the house of God, but I honestly don’t know if my feelings would still be the same. I would have to give up a lot of pride to serve in the most lowliest position, and would need God’s grace daily to do it.

No comments: