Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Day 169 Bible Readings – 1 Kings 3: 23-25 (ESV)

1 Kings 3: 16-28, 1 Kings 4 & 5, Acts 12: 19-25, Acts 13: 1-12, Psalm 90: 11-17

1 Kings 3: 23-25 (ESV)

“Then the king said, “The one says, ‘This is my son that is alive, and your son is dead’; and the other says, ‘No; but your son is dead, and my son is the living one.’” And the king said, “Bring me a sword.” So a sword was brought before the king. And the king said, “Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one and half to the other.”

Verses 23 through 25 from 1 Kings 3 shows the wisdom of Solomon when he came up with this crazy solution to two women claiming the same child. This story is very famous, and I remember hearing about it as a child. And when I read it today, I am still in awe of the genius of Solomon’s solution to this problem. Only the boy’s real mother would wish no harm to come to him and would gladly give him up. But the thing that struck me is the other woman’s answer which was to divide the child. That such a strange and cold answer to the question. She didn’t care about the harm that came to the child because it wasn’t her child.

But Solomon didn’t come to this wisdom on his own. He prayed to God for wisdom, and this is great advice for anyone contemplating a decision small or large. Pray to God for wisdom to make the right decision and trust that whatever God tells you will be correct answer, even if it doesn’t seem that way at first because you will surely have a taste of the wisdom of Solomon from this famous story.

No comments: