Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, June 01, 2024

Day 151 Bible Readings - John 19: 28-30 (ESV)

1 Samuel 29-31, John 19: 28-42, Psalm 83

John 19: 28-30 (ESV)

“After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth. When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Verses 28 through 30 describe the final minutes of Jesus’ life on the cross. I love that even though Christ must have been in obvious physical pain from his crucifixion, he said “I thirst” to fulfill what was written in the scripture. He was so conscious of his role in God’s plan and of all the predictions made about in earlier scripture. Bible commentaries have said that Christ could have asked for pain-numbing drink before his crucifixion, but he did not. He instead was asking for sour wine so he could say one final thing before he died.

The final words of Jesus before he died were “It is finished.” He knew his job was over, and that everything he and his father wanted was accomplished. Bible commentaries I read said that these final words of Jesus were the words of a conqueror, of a victor. He was not defeated, he was not in despair. He said these words because he knew the job he came to do on earth was done and it was successful. Christ bowed his head peacefully and he gave up his spirit. No one took Christ’s life from him. He willed himself to die in surrender to the will of his father. I think Jesus provides a great model for how to accept death, especially if you have spent your life in service to God to best of your ability. I pray that when my time comes, I can mirror how Jesus died and that I will leave this life knowing that I tried my best to do God’s will on earth.

No comments: