Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, June 13, 2024

Day 163 Bible Readings - Acts 7: 59-60 (ESV)

2 Samuel 18: 19-33, 2 Samuel 19, Acts 7: 44-60, Psalm 89: 14-18

Acts 7: 59-60 (ESV)

“And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.”

When I read verses 59 through 60 from Acts 7, I was reminded of how Jesus died on the cross. Stephen, like Christ, asked God to forgive the people who were stoning him. I cannot imagine being so forgiving of people who were throwing stones at me. I think remembering Stephen’s words in times when we feel we are being persecuted in any way will give us hope and remind us that we need to forgive the people who are our persecutors.  I also like that Stephen is described as falling asleep and not dying. One is reminded that Stephen will wake up in a better world after death.

No comments: