Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, February 16, 2003

On Saturday morning, I went to the opening of the Gavin Newsome for Mayor Headquarters on Van Ness at California. Everyone was marveling at the turnout, especially on a three-day weekend. 300 people jammed the room to hear Gavin and his wife, Kimberly Guilfoyle, an assistant DA for the city speak.

Three well-dressed and expensive looking Pacific Heights matron types were talking about Newsome's future, since you can only be a mayor of San Francisco for two terms. They were saying maybe state senator, state representative, and the biggest prize of California poltics, the governorship.

Well, he's definitely go the Gray Davis style of fundraising down. Newsome's campaign has already gotten more money than the all the SF mayoral candidates combined. I'm even thinking of donating money. The man definitely has something. I don't know what it is, star quality maybe. He's got that special gift of making everything he says sound so sincere and so from the heart. I don't know him well enough to know whether he really means what he says, but even if he does or doesn't, I think he will always sound like he does.

Newsome did say that contributions from his campaign came from every zipcode in San Francisco. I wonder if this happens to all front runner candidates. The crowd gathered on Saturday was definitely a mix of people from the City.

I think most of the people there are like me, tired of business/politics as usual in San Francisco, the cit that can't seem to ever get anything done. I think what I like about Gavin Newsome is he's a pragmatist, not an idealist. I think he will shake things up at City Hall and try to get something done, and not just spout idealistic pronouncements and hope the city will take care of itself. It's almost worth voting for Gavin Newsome just to get back at all the left wing political freaks who have made it impossible to get anything done or passed in the city. I think Newsome will lead the city back to the center, and perhaps lift the malaise that has descended on San Francisco city politics.

There is nobody else I would really support. I don't want to elect someone who will polarize the city. The City has some serious problems, and we need someone who can get support from the right and left in the city. Yes, despite what you read in the paper, on the internet and hear in the media, there are conservatives in San Francisco. Not very many, but I think there are at least 10 - 20% who will actually admit to being a republican. My neighborhood is about 15% republican, and there were plenty of Bush/Cheney signs in people's windows during the 2000 election.

Personally, I would place the republican figure higher, but it's San Francisco and you just can't say you're a republican because you'd be ostracized, so the safe thing to say is you're an independent. But then if you don't register with a political party, you don't get to vote in the primaries, which I what alot of people I know do. They only vote in the General election, or worse, they just don't vote which is too bad.

No comments: