Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, May 31, 2024

Day 150 Bible Readings - 1 Samuel 27: 1 (ESV)

1 Samuel 26-28, John 19: 1-27, Psalm 81: 1-8

1 Samuel 27: 1 (ESV)

“Then David said in his heart, “Now I shall perish one day by the hand of Saul. There is nothing better for me than that I should escape to the land of the Philistines. Then Saul will despair of seeking me any longer within the borders of Israel, and I shall escape out of his hand.”

Verse 1 from 1 Samuel 27 made me feel for David. This verse tells us David was in despair. Saul kept wanting to kill him and in his heart, the heart that God knew, was tired of trusting God. I can totally relate to how David was feeling. When I’ve been very depressed in despair, I often wondered if God had forgotten about me or if I did something wrong. Or worse, maybe God didn’t even exist and I had been wrong and fooled all these years. Like David, I had forgotten how God had always rescued me when I was in dire straits.

Many Christians calls this backsliding, where we doubt God and our faith in him. If we remember that David, who was anointed and so favored by God, also suffered from backsliding then we can also know that sometimes this event happens even to everyone. But if you know the Bible, you know David turned himself around and became King. David’s redemption gives us hope that we will be able to turn ourselves around as well, and recover our faith and once again serve God.

No comments: