Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I decided not to go to my church retreate this weekend. I was really looking forward to attending this year, but the topic for the retreat was something like "Globalization in World: A Christian Perspective", or something like that. There's been two anti-globalization seminars at church, and I didn't know if I could sit through a weekend of anti-globalization rhetoric.

I feel so bad about not wanting to go on the retreat, but I hate the topic. It's kind of typical of my church though, because after all the church is in San Francisco and I wonder how many other churches have a "Peace and Justice Committee". I am very pro-globalization. I love that the world is coming together, being connected, becoming one. I think whether you agree with globalization or not, it's already happening.

Part of the church retreat weekend was discussion of how the different religions respond to the globalization and the influence of western modern, and modern is American culture. Islamic countries fear the influence of the West, and one could argue that terrorism is a response to the invasion of American culture.

Plus, I am cautious supporter of the President's war on Iraq. My life is stressed out enough right now, and why would I want to add to the stress by a spending the weekend having to talk about the war. I think my church is 50% for the war and 50% against, so it's not like I wouldn't find people who won't support my position, but the anti-war people are so vocal and emotional about the war.

And we stopped praying for the troops in the middle east, despite the fact that several members now have children or relatives stationed there. It's so bad karma! I mean didn't Christ say "love your neighbor as you love yourself and do unto others as you have them do unto you". That's karma, which says for every action there is an reaction or as you sow, so shall you reap. So bad karma is when you treat someone in a way you wouldn't treat yourself, only karma says there will be reaction whereas christianity says "leave it to God's justice." To me it's all the same, because karma just says there will be a reaction to any action and assumes that God will decide the reaction.

I just know if I went to the church retreat, I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing my views for fear of being shunned. It's not that the church people are bad or anything, but the Iraq issue is so emotional for some people. I never understood the republican irrational hatred of Clinton, but there's an irrational hatred of everything Bush among some of my church members.

It's too bad, but maybe all for the better. I made an appointment to see that health practitioner in Berkeley on Saturday, whom I saw last year. He really helped me with some of my health issues, and I'm hoping to ask him what I need to do so I can stop getting colds and allergies.

Then on Sunday morning, I'm going to a preview event for the new Asian Art Museum. I became a member last year, and I'm really looking forward to viewing the location before it opens to the general public. The museum has more space now, and it will be displaying objects that have never been on display before. So exciting! I just love asian art!

No comments: