Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, March 22, 2003

I've been watching CNN all day. Nothing more depressing like all day and night war coverage, but I can't help myself. I feel like I need to keep up with what's going on with the war. I am so afraid of what will happen when our troops get to Bagdad. That is when the real fighting will start will fear.

I'm starting to hate the protestors. I can't help it, and I feel bad because I've been attending anti-government protests since I was 16 years old. They've become so violent, so angry, and the ones they interview of TV sound so darned arrogant. I wonder if they know that they're coming across in interviews as just spoiled babies who don't know what the heck they're doing, especially the young ones.

What makes me so angry is that they're protesting in San Francisco where the majority of the people agree with their position, and that their actions are just turning people off. The protestors said that they're protesting in San Francisco so shut down the economic war machine.

I was going through my old newspapers today, and I came across a SF Chronicle article from March 9 which said that "According to the new international survey of Cushman & Wakefield, the cost of occupying office space in San Francisco has now fallen to the level of Budapest and Helsinki." How's that for what commercial real estate costs in a thriving economic war machine city.

They only reason the protestors in San Francisco are as successful as they have been in shutting the city down is because the mayor agrees with them and SF is tolerant of protests. Maybe too tolerant. You don't see this sort of stuff happening in any other major city, but then I don't believe San Francisco is a major city any more, if it ever has been.

From that same 3/9/2003 article:

"I don't think San Francisco has ever been a place that attracted international companies." said Cushman & Wakefield's Joe Cook. "We're a top tourist destination, but in terms of world perception, San Francisco has always had a more of a local focus, compared to a city like New York".

I hear rumors that Sadam Hussein is dead. Why doesn't he speak? They just keep showing old tape. It's not his style to not talk from what I can tell. You know who's making money in the war? All the retired army people, war analysts and commentators. Those "talking heads" are raking in the media fees for their expertise on TV.

I pray every day for our troops. They weren't drafted, they volunteered for service and are just following orders. After 9/11, it really hit me hard when I watched the national memorial service for the victims, the one where Bush, Clinton and Carter attended, that our country was first and foremost a military power. When I watched the uniformed soldiers walk up aisle with the flags, I was reminded very intensely that America's power partly rested with our military. The image was further reinforced when I saw all the uniformed military commanders at the service.

When our country was attacked on 9/11, I felt so helpless and it was surprisingly and curiously very reassuring to me to know that our military was there, and that they would do everything in their power to protect our country and its people. I don't think I ever appreciated the military as much as I did then, nor did I realize how much the military had played a part in creating, forming, sustaining and protecting our country. So I keep our troops in my prayers, and I pray they return home to their family and loved ones as soon as possible.

No comments: