Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, June 25, 2004

I got free tickets to see the new Metallic documentary, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster on Wednesday. I even dragged my friend Jon over at Hooray for Anything to the movie, and he's not a big Metallica fan at all.

Metallica so rules! Even in a documentary!!! They were so funny! The movie is a must see, especially if you want a good laugh and have been in therapy. Check out the The NY Times Magazize article on the movie, Band on the Couch.

The movie kind of reminded me of Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" in a way, because all the characters in that movie were in therapy in some for or another as well. Since it's a documentary it's also kindof like of watching reality TV, but a reality TV show with one of biggest selling rock bands of the last 20 years.

Plus if you're a closet head banger chick (like me) or dude and love metal music that you can bop your head to, you'll love the movie.

If you aren't an art fan, I'll say it now so you'll know when you see the movie. Lars has great taste in modern art. He had a piece by Phillip Guston, an artist SFMOMA just had retrospective on last year. Guston is an amazing artist, a true pioneer of modern art. Every modern artist says they owe a debt to Guston, and Lars owned a Guston.

Kirk Hemmet is so great. He's like your total typical artsy fartsy guy, with this great valley boy accent. He was so darn cute! And Lars of course, was fantastic.

Being in a band is like being in a marriage it seems, only the marriage has more than two people. There were some pretty gnarly arguments going on in the movie, really serious emotional stuff that you normally never see in a documentary. The band really laid themselves bare and were seriously emotionally naked on camera. It's funny because they were so normal, and I laughed not at them but with them because I just so related.

My favourite scenes were the mission statement scene, the scene with the guy from Megadeath, this one scene where Lars and Kirk were grooving to the music and doing some serious head banging, Lars and his dad, and all the scenes with Kirk. I think Kirk stole the show. He was just so dead pan and artsy fartsy!

No comments: