Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Updated the books I'm reading at the left, and some of the information. Just finished reading "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror" by Robert Louis Stevenson." Stevenson is an interesting writer, and I want to read all his books. I kind of remember reading "Treasure Island" and "Kidnapped" as a kid, but it's all very fuzzy so I borrowed them from the library and plan to reread them.

Stevenson wrote this one short story called "Olalla", and there some amazing lines about love at first sight in it.

"My foot was on the topmost round, when a door opened, and I found myself face to face with Olalla. Surprise transfixed me; her loveliness struck to my heart; she glowed in the deep shadow of the gallery; a gem of a colour; her eyes took hold upon mine and clung there, and bound us together like the joining of hands; and the moments we thus stood face to face, drinking each other in, were sacramental and the wedding of souls. ... The thrill of her young life, strung like a wild animal's, had entered into me; the force of soul that had looked out from her eyes and conquered mine, mantled about my heart and sprang to my lips in singing. She passed through my veins: she was one with me. ... I could not doubt but that I loved her at first sight, and already with a quivering ardour that was strange to my experience."

I especially like the phrase "...drinking each other in, were sacramental and the wedding of souls". It made me think about that fateful flight when I met red-haired guy ... was our meeting sacramental, and did we drink each other in and had a wedding of souls? Red-haired guy said our first meeting and conversation was like "soul-mates". I actually remember seeing him in line, while I was waiting at the gate at Southwest. He got my attention because of his red-hair. He doesn't remember seeing me until he was about five rows from my seat, and he said to himself "I'm going to sit next to that cute girl, and I hope she has personality."

No comments: